Heritage Academy

Mission and History

Mission & HistoryHeritage Academy is an independent school offering a quality Christ-centered education to children of diverse economic, racial and ethnic backgrounds, empowering them to become a positive influence for Christ in this community and around the world.

Heritage Academy has an intentional mission to the children of low-income families.

 

 

History of our Location

Building ConstructionJohn W. Houghton was a successful leather merchant on Broad Street in Augusta.  At his death in 1851, he bequeathed four thousand dollars and a plot of land to the City Council of Augusta for the purpose of building a school for “the poor children of Augusta.” The school was also to be open on Sundays for worship and prayer.

In 1853 the first Houghton School was opened. In the 1890’s it became the first public elementary school. The original structure was burned in the massive fire of downtown Augusta in 1916. The current school building was designed by prominent architect Lloyd Preacher, and erected for a cost of $65,000. From 1916 to 2000, thousands of children in Augusta were educated in the facility. The building was vacant until local businessman and philanthropist Clay Boardman purchased the historic property in 2005, adding a new roof, windows and otherwise bringing to a halt the decay inside the building. Heritage Academy purchased the building from Mr. Boardman and began a 190-day production schedule to completely renovate the first of two floors in the 50,000 square foot facility.

John Houghton cared deeply about his community and the children that are its future. He was a visionary. Heritage Academy is following in his steps to bring educational freedom to all children, especially children from low-income families. We believe it is fitting that the permanent home of our school should be this beautiful building that is historically significant to the city of Augusta. Not only have we returned the building to its original use as a school but also its original intent by its benefactor.

Timeline of Heritage Academy's History

1999

A group of five Augusta citizens respond to the plight of children in the inner-city and begin planning a Christian school.

2000 

They organize as the Board of Directors of Heritage Academy. They research urban education, visit other schools and present to the community a vision for an inner city Christian school that is accessible, affordable and sustainable.

2001

The school opens in the fellowship hall of a small church in East Augusta with 10 children in kindergarten. The strategic plan calls for adding a grade each year up to eighth grade.

2003

Heritage Academy begins to look for a permanent location.

2004

The school continues to grow and moves to another temporary location.

2006

The historic Houghton School building in Olde Town is purchased and a Capital Campaign for 2.5 million dollars begins.

2007

After a 190-day production schedule to renovate the first floor, Heritage  Academy moves into its new home.

2008

The school continues to grow and develops plans for renovating the second floor.

2010 Heritage Academy celebrates its 10th Year educating children. The school opens two sections of kindergarten for the first time.
2011 With enrollment growing, 60% of the second floor is renovated and opened with five classrooms and administrative offices. Three sections of kindergarten are offered and half of the student body is in kindergarten, first and second grade.
   

Through challenges, growth and change, Heritage Academy has remained faithful to the mission of making a Christ-centered education available to all children regardless of family income.

 

333 Greene Street, Augusta, GA 30901,
P: (706)_ 821-0034, F: (706) 821-0122,
Email Us